MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.
89829185

Me and my fiance is foreigner we want to get married in San,

Customer Question

Me and my fiance is foreigner we want to get married in San Jose, CA. How the foreigner get married in San Jose?, what the requirement for that?
Submitted: 1 year ago via USmarriagelaws.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** am here to help you with your inquiry.

A foreigner who is already in the US is welcome to marry a US citizen while here. Generally, it is not necessary to have any immigration status to marry in the U.S. This is because marriage is according to State law. In most cases a foreigner who marries a United States citizen will want to remain in the U.S. and apply for a green card based on marriage.

If the foreigner enters the United States on either a K1 fiancee visa or K3 spousal visa, the foreigner is welcome to remain in the U.S. and apply for a green card. Eventually the foreign spouse can apply for U.S. citizenship as well. The fiancee visa is a nonimmigrant/temporary visa. After the wedding (assuming that your new spouse wants to remain to live in the U.S. permanently), your new spouse may apply to adjust to permanent resident status.

If you are both foreigners, you should not have a problem. Both of you can get married in San Jose and return home. The marriage will still be valid here.

You will need to apply for a Santa Clara marriage license.

Please see the following link with all the information you need to do so: http://www.usmarriagelaws.com/search/united_states/california/marriage_licenses/santa_clara_county.shtml