Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

My husband retired at age 62 and was collecting $1500 per

Customer Question

My husband retired at age 62 and was collecting $1500 per month. he passed away at age 63 and I do not know how much I would recieve as a survior. I tried call Social security but they cant seem to give me an answer
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You are looking at a minimum of 71% of his benefit, it may be a bit more than that, but based on his young age and that he was not at full retirement age that will be about what you will received. Also, you could likely be entitled to a lump sum death benefit as well. See: https://www.ssa.gov/planners/survivors/ifyou5.html

You need to file for the survivors benefits for them to make a full calculation on the benefit account.