Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

We have a nephew, who is homeless, has used our residential

Customer Question

We have a nephew, who is homeless, has used our residential address to obtain food stamps. He is not a resident here. 2 to 3 years ago I opened a room for him with certain stipulations including no drug use and he find a job. I also paid for a class to study for his GED. Also took him to the local job resource center. I asked him to leave when he did not follow through with school and a job plus he was smoking crack in my house. Since then he spent approx. 1 year in prison. We have not seen him since I asked him to leave. What are the consequences of him using our address to obtain state benefits? Is he considered a resident in my home? We live in state of Florida. Thank you
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

If he doesn't physically live at your residence, then it would be a stretch to consider him to be a resident. As for him using your address, it could be considered food stamp fraud. But, since he's lived there in the past, it may not rise to the level of a fraudulent/criminal act. Instead, the best option may be to simply call the Florida Dept. of Children and Families (http://www.myflorida.com/accessflorida/) and report that he no longer lives with you and that you wanted them to know so their records can be updated. That'd be the best thing in terms of getting your address out of the system and removes you from being allegedly complicit with any misrepresentation he makes, but at the same time, you're not accusing him of any wrongdoing/fraud.