mmdesq
mmdesq, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 13 years experience.
30969554

I turned 66 in 2011. I have never worked. I applied on my

Customer Question

I turned 66 in 2011. I have never worked. I applied for benefit on my husband's social security account. I was approved for benefit on his account in Oct. 2015. But I got the back payment only from March 2015, while I was eligible right after I turned 66. How come I was not paid back payment from 2011 when I turned 66. ?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  mmdesq replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning,

I will try to best answer your question.

I believe you received retroactive payments until March because that is likely win you applied for the benefit. Social Security makes payments retroactive back to date of application. You can still contact Social Security and try to request that it be made retroactive to when you became a 66. However, I regret to say it will be difficult to obtain retroactive benefits prior to your request for benefits.

I know that this is not the answer you would like to hear, but I believe it is correct. I prefer to be honest with you and give you accurate information rather then just tell you what you want to hear. Please don't hold that against me when rating me.

Expert:  mmdesq replied 1 year ago.

Good luck