ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

I have a medical power of attorney spouse and my spouse has

Customer Question

Hello. I have a medical power of attorney for my spouse and my spouse has one for me. While we are married, we want to keep the MPA just in case. My spouse's MPA is in a shortened version of his name. Mike instead of Michael and middle initial instead of Full middle name. A law office did them for us a few years ago. They are probably ok the way they are, or do we need to redo his with his full first name and middle name?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

They should be just fine. The point of a power of attorney (or any legal document) is that the subject of the document (the person giving the power of attorney to another) be easily identifiable. Using a shortened name and an initial will still be just fine. Note however that a power of attorney is not binding on third parties. It allows you to act on someone else's behalf, but does not force the third party (here a medical provider, etc...) to accept that. So it IS possible that they might take issue with it. I say possible, but not probable. Anyone who needs a power of attorney to do something for him would almost certainly accept the truncated form of his first name and his initial rather than the full, formal, legal name. It's clear who it means in both the form and the context.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!

Please note that I'm still waiting for your response or rating. Thank you!

Was there anything else?