Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

My wife said she is going to talk to a lawyer. Kept my

Customer Question

My wife said she is going to talk to a lawyer. Kept my daughter here with me. Don't know what actions I should take.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney licensed in Tennessee. Thanks for your post. I'll be glad to assist.

First, if your wife is going to a lawyer to file for divorce, you're probably better off if you can see an attorney and file FIRST for several reasons.....the main one being so you can ask the court for a emergency temporary custody order giving you custody of your daughter (if she files first, she'll probably try to do the same thing).

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Also, being the filing party gives you a few procedural advantages.....and this doesn't catch you by surprise if you're the one filing.