Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My daughter's mother wants to take her out of state to

Customer Question

my daughter's mother wants to take her out of state to visit family. We are not nor have been married. We have a verbal agreement to split cost and time on a 50/50 basis. I am willing to pay for them both to go see my daughter's grand parents in Illinois
but am fearful the mother will attempt to stay and not return with my daughter. So I have asked her to, at a minimum sign a document stating she will return and have it notorized. But not sure that holds any legal power if she doesn't return as promised. Very
concerned and am unwilling to commit to funding the trip only to be tricked. The mother has a track record of not following our verbal agreements. WE are currently working on a WA state legal custody plan but it will not be complete by the Christmas. thank
you Matt Hanson
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello Matt:

Regrettably, the document that you are trying to prepare and notarize is not legally enforceable. She would not be in legal trouble if she does not return with your children because the document is not approved by the Court.