Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My question concerns section 8 housing in Ventura,

Customer Question

My question concerns section 8 housing in Ventura, California and Live-In Aides.
I am a live-In Caregiver for a senior diabled man living in Section 8 Housing. Both he and I filled out very lengthy and separate applications and I was also required to pay for a Life Scan and background check which I passed and we were approved and moved in on February 4, 2015.
On October 14, 2015 we received a Live-In Aide Addendum and Live-In Aide Questionaire with a cover letter stating that as of June 1, 2015 the Addendum was required for all tenants that have Live-In Aides. Nothing on either of the forms contain any changes or additions to the forms completed in our original applications. And one of the questions is " Have you (the live in aide) been involved in anyblegal actions, including arrests, adjudications, criminal or civil actions during the past 10 years? If yes, please explain." This was also asked and answered on my original application. We never received copies of our original applications. I strongly suspect harassment based on other letters that we have received. Does the Landlord have the right to request these forms after only 9 months? And is the 10 year legal history question reasonable and standard?
Thabk you,
Cindy Wallace
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The property manager is demanded the completed, signed forms by 7:00am tomorrow. I have attached photos of the documents.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

This was also asked and answered on my original application. We never received copies of our original applications.

Response 1: You should have and you she demand a copy of the fully executed application.

I strongly suspect harassment based on other letters that we have received. Does the Landlord have the right to request these forms after only 9 months?

Response 2: No, if the information being requested is the same as the information that you have already provided. You may consider filing discrimination complaint against the Landlord with California Department of Fair Employment and Housing if you suspect harassment. Click on the link below for the complaint process

http://www.dfeh.ca.gov/Complaints_ComplaintProcess.htm

And is the 10 year legal history question reasonable and standard? Thabk you, Cindy Wallace

Response 3: No, it is not. For more information about your rights, review the attached PDF:

https://www.thelpa.com/free/CA_Fair_Housing_Handbook.pdf