Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

Have a situation where my ex and i are on the same car

Customer Question

have a situation where my ex and i are on the same car loans, he was using and paying his car loan and now he wont be able to. since i am listed first on the loan, i will take the vehicle and take over the loan, but i want to get his name off both vehicles. what type of attorney can handle this type of situation? i only have possession of one of the wehicles and no key for the other.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

This can be handled by him signing the title over to you and filing it with the DMV. Since the car is still under a lien you have to notify the lender as well, but your divorce attorney/family law attorney or any general law attorney can handle doing this to change the title over.