Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

Is there any reason why I can not choose to comply with an

Customer Question

Is there any reason why I can not choose to comply with an Order of the trial court even though I want to appeal to the Superior Court?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The only reason you can NOT comply with a court order is if the order is illegal or contrary to the law or if the court grants a stay of enforcement. Otherwise, you must follow the orders of the court or be found in contempt of court. If you are going to appeal, you need to get your appeal filed and you can file a motion to stay enforcement of the order pending appeal, which would mean you do not have to comply with the order until after the appeal is decided.