Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

Sir,I am 65 Y.O a US citizen after retirement from county

Customer Question

Sir,I am 65 Y.O a US citizen after retirement from cook county hospital in Chicago,i am settled in India,from July 2011.My wife 30 years married with 3 grown kids has went to Chicago trial court filed divorce and got default degree though responded to court summon answered pro se method and I ultimately won the trial court judgement,then she went to appeal court and got ex-party judgement,the court did not inform about the judgement nor any letters sent to me,then i filed in Illinois supreme court,the denied my appeal even oral argument was denied. On the whole trial,appeal,supreme court, i was not give opportunity to explain my side of argument.All i need how long the supreme court judgement will be in force or execution period. Thanks
George
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If the Supreme Court has denied your appeal, the case is over and the judgment is enforceable in IL for up to 7 years and then it may be renewed for subsequent 7 year periods up to a total of 27 years. So now that you have lost the appeal at the Supreme Court, the judgment is valid and enforceable and they can keep seeking to collect and renewing the judgment every 7 years.