Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
18572087

I was late getting the papers to the nursing home to have

Customer Question

I was late getting the papers to the nursing home to have her medicare checks to go directly to the nursing home in White Plains, NY and they have billed me $111,000.00, I am out on disability and my mother has dementia and absolutely no assests. Can they kick her out? and will I be responsible for the $111,000?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Is this just a bureaucratic issue, and will Medicare cover this cost, or did they formally deny? Please advise!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The nursing home is still trying to process the paperwork but are on standby while I gather the last 2 requests of information. I have to get 19 months of bank statements and a letter from Veteran's benefits stating her benefits. Getting either of them seems to be more difficult then one would think. When processing the paperwork to get my mother into the nursing home, I apparently signed that I would be financially responsible which is insane since I am out on disability. So once the paperwork is processed from medicare to Medicaid and I don't have the money to pay the bill...can they make my mother leave?

Thank you for your patience. To answer directly, if you or your mother cannot cover the bill and cannot pay for the treatment, then yes, your mother can be made to leave. The nursing home has no legal duty to provide services in a non-emergency situation so if they are not going to be paid for the services they provide, they can discharge your parent and suggest that you find other housing or an another home for her to reside in.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.