Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 plus years of experience.
17897874

I have been in a relationship years. Raised our child, put

Customer Question

I have been in a relationship for 24 years. Raised our child, put my life on hold while my partner has carried on his career. Our relationship has been going down hill and I believe he is now cheating . We have always introduced our selves as husband and wife. Our friends think we're married and his family says I'm there daughter in law. After all this time our relationship has gotten very ugly, and now he wants me out. He's a liar, and he's made sure my name is ***** ***** Do I have any legal leg to stand on? I need help!!!
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good evening. I am Loren, an Illinois licensed attorney, and I look forward to answering your question.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Is there a reason you never married each other?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Also, do you have anything in writing regarding his promise to support you?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Are you online with me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am. Nothing in writing only by what he has said in the past. He has mentioned if he died everything is in my name. But nothing before. He has mentioned a contract legal binding and when I brought it back up to him he flipped out!
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, Illinois does not recognize common law marriage and that is what you would need to have a claim to assert to sue.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Any joint tenancy you own will automatically pass to the surviving joint tenant, but any property you own yoursel is stll yours.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. What is the proper protocol to file and sue??Where do I go to take care of this?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If you are being kept from your property you would file for replevin to get a court order to force your partner tomreturn the property to you if he refuses.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If he refuses tomreturn your property after the court order then he can be held in contempt of court.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome. If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.