Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
18572087

In the state of Maryland, are the guidelines a child home

Customer Question

In the state of Maryland, are the guidelines for leaving a child home alone considered or is eight years old the over all law regardless of the time of day?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

The 'Latchkey Laws' pertaining to when a minor child can be left alone is not based on time of day or time of night, it is based solely on the age of the minor child. Even at night a child still has to be supervised so leaving a too young child unsupervised and alone at night would still be a violation, and would be treated similarly to leaving the child alone and unsupervised during the afternoon hours.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
your saying that a 10 years old child has to be supervised, even in the state of Maryland even though the says 8 years-old?

No, that is not what I am saying at all. If the law requires supervision up to 8 years of age, a child has to be supervised if that child is 8 years of age or younger. Once a child is older, it is no longer a violation of the law. So while it is probably best to supervise such a child, failure to do so is no longer a violation of law.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the clarification on this matter. I am still troubled by the law in this state. It is so lax. A ten years old child has no business being let alone to get his homework done, fix his dinner, get his bath, and put himself to bed. It just seems like a lot of responsibility for a child that young. Thanks again.

I can understand your worry and concern, and I can also potentially see it as possible neglect. But please keep in mind that a child is generally supposed to be mature enough to be able to care for himself...if the child is unable to do so and gets in trouble, the parent is still liable for parental neglect, it just won't be based on this specific law.

Please take care and be well!

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.