Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

How does the divorce process work when one party refuses to

Customer Question

How does the divorce process work when one party refuses to sign the agreement? It's out of spite, we both want to be divorced but she refuses to sign anything... I haven't spoke with anyone about this yet, I don't even know if I should, if she won't sign
anything then will it be a waste of time? We don't have an kids or anything, just a bank account that we've agreed to split.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Steven K. replied 1 year ago.

If she refuses to cooperate, then you need to ask for a trial date. At the trial, you can ask that the divorce be granted and that the account be divided. The Court can grant your requests, even if she signs nothing and/or doesn't show up.