mmdesq
mmdesq, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 13 years experience.
30969554

My husband recently became self employed per s decree he

Customer Question

My husband recently became self employed per his decree he must provide insurance coverage for his daughter which we have the new policy in place; however the deductibles are higher than the one he had with his employer. Now the ex is wanting him to provide
coverage comparable in deductibles for his daughter however the divorce decree states ""Plaintiff shall provide insurance coverage for the benefit of the minor child if insurance can be obtained through an employer or other group carrier, or it is otherwise
reasonably available" it does NOT state anything about a certain amount or a deductible amount at all. Does she have the right to do this???
Category: Family Law
Expert:  mmdesq replied 1 year ago.

Good Evening,

I will try to best answer your question.

Based upon the language you quoted from the decree your husband is compliant. It only requires health insurance to be provided it does not guaranty certain coverage or deductibles. She does not have a strong position. I think your husband will be fine on this issue if she insists upon litigation.

I hope that this information is helpful and I wish you the best of luck resolving this matter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I kind of figured since there is not a dollar amount stipulated in the decree and it strictly states that he must provide insurance for his daughter which we are, that she wouldn't have a leg to stand on, but as always I wanted to confirm.
Expert:  mmdesq replied 1 year ago.

No problem. Good luck.