Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
18572087

My gf and I have lived together .5 years during that time

Customer Question

my gf and I have lived together for 8.5 years during that time she opened a business and I have acted as the cfo for the entire 8.5 years. Also I took care of all house work including all meals and cleaning and taking care of our personell joint checking account. I have never taken a pay check and our business has expanded to where we cross close to $800,000. per year. I believe im intitled to half of the accumulated value of the company. where do I stand
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

My apologies but your belief is incorrect. Since you were not married, the property is not shared. If the business is under your girlfriend's name, then the business is hers and not yours. You can demand back-pay for the work done if you were never paid, and you can demand a share of the joint checking out, but the business is not yours even if you helped build it because your name is ***** ***** the articles of incorporation as part owner. I do apologize but you are not automatically entitled to a share.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.