Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
18572087

My daughter just moved and has resided with me years she and

Customer Question

my daughter just moved and has resided with me for five years she and my granddaughter.My grandaughter attends school in my district, and the school told my daughter that she has to give me guardianship for the child to continue to attend that school and the the mother nad child both has to residing together in the same household. My daughter works during the day anhd she can not change her shift 6am to 2:30 pm so she drops the baby off to me in the mornings so I can put her on the school bus. She also attend shcool. Is it possible for me to be appointed power of attorney for educational purposes of my 5yr old grandaughter? Can my daughter continue to drop her off and pick her up in the evenings and the go home. On wednesday nights my granddaughter stays all night at my home because she attends school on campus. Please advise. The school told my daughter thet missouri doesnt reconize POA. Please advise
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

To answer directly, a 'power of attorney' is generally NOT binding and something that the school district or third parties are free to ignore. In this situation seeking a guardianship would ensure your right to make decisions on behalf of the granddaughter. The state does not recognize POAs, which is accurate, and on that basis the district can demand that you be recognized formally as guardian in this instance.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.