Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My girlfriends parents verbally and emotionally abuse her.

Customer Question

My girlfriends parents verbally and emotionally abuse her. She is constantly belittled and threatened. Her father has repeatedly threatened my well being and life. She wants to move in with her grandmother. My girlfriend is almost 17. What can she do to
get out of the abusive home.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

She needs to have her grandmother speak with her parents about letting her come and stay with her. If her parents are uncooperative, then her grandmother can file for custody. Since she is 17, the grandmother can ask the Court to speak with her and ask her about her living situation and whether she really wants to move out.

The Custody complaint will be filed at the Circuit Court in the County where the teenager resides. The forms for filling for custody can be obtained at the Courthouse in the Clerk's office.

https://courts.arkansas.gov/courts/circuit-courts