P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
11181181

My 12 year old that I have full custody of wants to change

Customer Question

My 12 year old that I have full custody of wants to change her last name to mine. He will add mine to it but she the child doesn't want to do it that way. What can I do?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** have over 16 years experience in the law. Should you like to chat on the phone I am happy to for a nominal cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested I am happy to give you more details.

Sorry...I do not understand the question...you want to change the child's name but the other parent does not agree?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My daughter 12 years old no longer wants to have have her fathers last name. She has wanted this changed for many years now. I have full custody of her, but his name is ***** ***** birth certificate. He really has nothing to do with her honestly. How do I approach this? Sorry for the misunderstanding earlier.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Thanks
There are two ways to approach

By far the easiest is if he (father) agrees to the change. IN that case you head to the court, talk to the clerk of the court, get the form for name change, have dad sign, you sign and file with the court. Easy.

But if dad is not willing to sign off?

Then it is complex...you would need to file a motion with the court and present evidence to the court on why this change is in the best interest of the child...and for this you would need to hire an attorney.

But if dad is willing to sign off? This is easy

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't think he will, he wants to add my last name to hers. Flanary-Poston. She only wants Poston. He is not in her life unless it is convenient for him to be. No real visitation set, he'll come by once in a blue moon.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Thanks
If the goal is to change it without his consent, you need to hire a local attorney to file and present the case to the court.