How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7395
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been in a relationship with my ex wife years. We have

Customer Question

Hello , I have been in a relationship with my ex wife for thirty years. We have a wonderful daughter who is twenty eight and lives in Ney York. My question is ,do I have any legal recourse to obtain a small amount of financial security from our relationship as my ex has two million dollars in assets and I am two twenty two hundred dollars in debt. thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

A few minutes please as I look into this for you.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

I have reviewed the statutes and they do not provide for palimony-palimony is a common law concept that allows for cohabitating unmarried couples to claim support from one another, based on the idea that there was an implied or express contract to support one another.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

However, if the court retained jurisdiction over spousal support ordered during the divorce, (ie there was no termination date; the court expressly reserved jurisdiction) then the court does have discretion to consider a request for a modification. However, the court is reluctant to do so after enough time has lapsed so that the court would expect both parties to be self sufficient.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

After reviewing case law, I could not find a case supporting reinstatement of alimony. However, the court looks at equitable factors, so it is best to have an attorney review the original divorce decree, and then determine if further case law research is justifiable based on the wording of the decree.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Thank you for using JA. If you have further questions please post here and I will reply. Otherwise kindly rate Positively so the site credits me for assisting you today. Thank you and take care!

Related Family Law Questions