Steven  K.
Steven K., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
44472555

How soon can i het a divorce and how much more will this

Customer Question

how soon can i het a divorce and how much more will this cost?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Steven K. replied 1 year ago.

That depends on whether you will file in New York or Pennsylvania. Since you are in New York, I assume that is where you wish to file. You can file in New York without fault if your marriage has been irretrievably broken for at least six months. If you are seeking a fault divorce, you don't have to wait that long, but that may prevent the case from being uncontested. An uncontested divorce normally can take up from 6-8 weeks to 3 months (or longer) depending on the following two (2) factors:

First, how quickly can your spouse return the necessary document(s) to you; and second, how busy is the Court upon filing the remaining batch of documents to place the matrimonial action on the Uncontested Calendar. Here is the website with the forms. Filing fees vary significantly from county to county, but if you don't qualify for a fee waiver, it will be several hundred dollars. If you hire an attorney, that could add several thousands of dollars.

Do you have any other questions?