Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My husband and I were just recently married. The marriage

Customer Question

My husband and I were just recently married. The marriage license was sent in to be recorded, but the officiant did not put her title. What will happen if I do not sent in the license to be recorded. For financial reasons we were considering letting it expire and going to the court house to marry after the new year.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Did the court send the license back to you to have the title inserted in the proper place?

2. What financial issue has arisen that makes you have second thoughts about the marriage?

3. Aside from the missing title, was there anything else irregular about the application process and marriage ceremony?

4. Yours is a rather unusual request which begs a question. Are either of you having second thoughts about this marriage?

Doug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The court sent the license back to have the title inserted. I have had some medical issues and was counting on my usual amount of tax return to help pay off the credit cards. I did some research ans realized we are going to be penalized. I also have some more tests that I need and I am going to loose most of my subsidies. My husband does not make more than me our incomes have not grown but it seems we are going to lose thousands of dollars.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

You are going to be penalized for what?

What subsidies are you referring to? Exactly why will you lose these subsidies? Who pays them?

Doug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Health care subsidies and I normally claim head of household.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Due to the complicated situation you have here, this is something best discussed over the phone. Do consider my call offer that I made earlier---I will refresh the offer.

If you are not willing to accept the offer, let me know and we can try to work it out here.

Doug