Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Our divorce was final 2 years ago. We were married 30 years,

Customer Question

Our divorce was final 2 years ago. We were married 30 years, 3 children! I gave up my carrier to move to this country and marry him. I pretty much raised the kids, took care of the house and helped, ran his business that he started, for 20 years. Now he says, he doesn't want to pay alimony! He makes between12-15K per month! I work as a special ed. assistant and take home about $1400/month! The alimony has to be revisited when our son turns 18 in three years. Currently he's paying $1400 in child support, and $2000 in alimony! I initially asked for $3000 in alimony perminanetly and non modifiable! My attorney (who did not fight for what I wanted) told me that we can modify it when I loose the child support! I also have our 26 year old son living with me at this time! no job, but is trying to finish his degree. Just got hid dental bell of $2000! What can I do? My ex does not want to support me OR the kids in any way, and is constantly late with support payments! He is also talking to some mutual friends of ours about how much they pay in alimony! He is self employed, and hides a lot of of his assets and payments! Not sure where to go from here!
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Steven K. replied 1 year ago.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Do you want to increase spousal support now? Or are you trying to increase it when child support terminates in a few years? Or are you afraid that he will file a motion to terminate it? Or are you trying to enforce your order?