mmdesq
mmdesq, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 13 years experience.
30969554

My ex-wife was awarded 50 percent at divorce, she has since

Customer Question

My ex-wife was awarded 50 percent at divorce, she has since remarried. How can I stop payments?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  mmdesq replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning,

I will try to best answer your question.

Generally when a person says their spouse got 50% in a divorce proceeding they are referring to distribution of assets. I'm assuming that that is to what you are referring. Unless your agreement or court decision states that her percent distribution changes if she remarries then getting remarried does not have an effect on distribution of assets.

What is more common is that an alimony award can be terminated based upon remarriage. Perhaps this is what you are referring to. If that is the case you will need tof look at the agreement reached resolving the divorce proceedings or the decision from the court resolving the divorce proceedings that states how alimony is to be dealt with upon remarriage. Generally a motion to enforce the court order or the agreement is filed with the court seeking termination of the same.

I hope this information and advice is helpful and I wish you the best of luck. If I have not specifically answer your question please provide a little more detail and I will be happy to provided further response, but I think this is what you were trying to ask.

Expert:  mmdesq replied 1 year ago.

Would you be kind enough to rate me please. Thank you

Expert:  mmdesq replied 1 year ago.