Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

My daughter lives in Texas and has only been married 4

Customer Question

My daughter lives in Texas and has only been married 4 months. She is asking for legal separation and might be asking for divorce. She has not decided yet on divorce, but unless therapy is involved, they'll end up divorced. Are there any laws in Texas
stating she has to return her wedding ring? She probably will, but her husband had anger issues and is demanding the ring now. I told her to keep it until they decide on whether they are getting a divorce and my only other input was counseling. Apparently
there are some controlling, anger issues, but I'm trying my best to stay out of the issues. As long as there is no physical abyss, I'll stay out of their issues. Is she required by law to give ring back? Will she owe him money that he paid on to have her car
fixed in the past couple of months? They're not getting lawyers at this point, she wants to be civil, but she should be allowed to get her belongings and anything her family bought her for wedding, decorating fit house, etc? Thank you
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

I am sorry to hear of this situation for your daughter.

No. She is not legally obligated to return her engagement ring or her wedding ring or any other gift that has been given to her by the husband.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

The ring was a gift and conditional on getting married. Not staying married.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Money, finances, marital assets and marital debt will all be decided by the court when those issues arise.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

The wedding gifts belong to both of them. And so that is marital property and if they cannot work the issues out in mediation, then I suggest that the court will decide for them.

I suggest, she consider a mediator and begin the marital separation agreement process before she takes anything or gives anything back.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She really simply wants her belongings. He's being controlling and difficult. She's filing paperwork and a mediator is a good idea. Thank you,
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

I understand. If she works with a mediator, that is her best recourse at this time. Thanking you in advance for a positive rating.