Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My grandson's father signed over s rights about 8 years ago

Customer Question

my grandson's father signed over his rights about 8 years ago and now we would like to adopt the child.. The mother, our daughter, is willing to sign over her rights. how do we do that?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Could you clarify?

I thought you said that the father's rights had already been terminated?

Did the Court terminate the father's rights?

What state does this issue pertain to?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we had the fathers rights terminated by the court, he was not a good man, he was a drug dealer and due to the fact he was angry that she had the child, we were afraid he might harm the child. The mother has lived with at times and at others not, but the child has always lived with us we have been responsible for him in all ways. He is autistic and he and my husband and I are the only parents he has known, oh he knows his mom is his real mom, but he has always look to us for parenting. We are in Texas and I'm not sure of our rights. Like I said the mother is willing to sign the child over to us. How can we do this?

Thank you for the information.

If the mother is willing to sign over her rights and the father's rights have already been terminated, then your part to adopting the child is a lot smoother. You would need to file Petition for Adoption at the District Court in the County where the child resides. Along with the petition, the mother must complete and sign Voluntary Relinquishment of Parental Rights. You should obtain these forms at the Courthouse in the Clerk's office.