mmdesq
mmdesq, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 13 years experience.
30969554

I was married in 1963 at age 19. In 2001 after almost 40

Customer Question

I was married in 1963 at age 19. In 2001 after almost 40 yrs, we divorced. He passed in 2007 the same year I remarried. I am collecting my S.S. at this time & I'm 73 yrs. old. I was told it's possible to get more benefits from my divorced/deceased husband.
I've never changed my previous name & my present husband & I have separate accounts. IE: bills, banking, ss, If I can receive more benefits, it'll help with my income & bills. Thank you
Category: Family Law
Expert:  mmdesq replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon,

I will try to best answer your question. If you were married for more than 10 years, you have the option of having your Social Security based upon your earnings or 1/2 of the amount of your prior husbands Social Security amount. You are entitled to select whichever one is larger.

I hope this information is helpful and I wish you the best of luck with the situation.