Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Experience:  18 years of litigation experience.
18321761

If my ex-wife has a restraining order against me that states

Customer Question

If my ex-wife has a restraining order against me that states I am not allowed at her home or place of employment does that also mean that she is held to the same and not allowed at my home or place of employment?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

You're the one who is under court mandate and who can get arrested for violating the order. Your ex is not supposed to be using the order as a weapon against you and trying to have contact with you, but she is not the subject of the order.

If this is a criminal order, talk to your lawyer so that your lawyer alerts the prosecutor to warn his complainant to behave herself. But either way you should have nothing to do with her while the order is in effect. She can get you rearrested in a heartbeat if she changes her mind about having anything to do with you, even if she was the one who sought you out.