Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

My boyfriend just got an inheritance check .000 but he owes

Customer Question

my boyfriend just got an inheritance check for 25.000 but he owes back child support and he is currently on disability if he puts this check in the bank under both our names they will snatch it wont they
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If he owes child support arrears, they can seize funds from any account that is under his name, including a joint account. If he is seeking to avoid seizure, he would have to place the check into an account in the name of a very trusted family member or friend he can rely on to give him the money when he wants it. Otherwise, they can levy his inheritance for child support arrears.