FamilyAttorney
FamilyAttorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Owner, attorney in private practice, appellate attorney, GAL & former trial lawyer, licensed for 36 years
89910983

I need a good CPS lawyer in Tucson AZ. My granddaughter who

Customer Question

I need a good CPS lawyer in Tucson AZ. My granddaughter who is 7 years old is currently in CPS custody and living with my husband and I. Both parents have drug issues. Dad has never been in the childs life but is now trying to get custody of her. Mother is not complying. CPS is bound and determined to place the child with the father who she doesn't know. He doesn't have a place to live, in court yesterday he was gonna move in with his Aunt and move my granddaughter in there, and he needs subsidies for housing, nor does he have a full time job, he's skipped drug tests and they seem to be ok with this. The father's sister is a social worker and has ties to CPS. We have been the main providers for our granddaughter for 7 years. We paid her medical bills, bought all her clothes, and paid day care etc because her parents just didn't care. She has lived off and on with us for 7 years because of parents issues and has now lived with us for 13 months.She does not want to live with her dad and is begging me to talk to the judge and let her voice be heard. I need a lawyer who will fight for us and my granddaughter since her CPS appointed lawyer is just a mouth piece for the state. Her father abandoned her years ago, he beat my daughter up while she was holing my granddaughter and was convicted of domestic violence, he has many assault charges against him and my granddaughter has accused him of jerking her arm and spanking her during visits. I need help fast.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I’m Ronna, a licensed NY attorney with 35 years’ experience. I specialize in family law cases and appeals. I look forward to helping you today.

You may not find a Tucson lawyer here, and in fact, I'm licensed in NY but I can give you access to a list of Tucson attorneys who handle these type of cases. The attorneys are rated and listed in Tucson. The site lists all lawyers in the US and many of us are rated by former clients. You can find Tucson attorneys in this field here: http://www.avvo.com/search/lawyer_search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=cps+custody+lawyers&loc=tucson%2C+arizona&commit=Search

This lists 26 child custody attorneys in the Tucson area. Some of the specify that they handle difficult cases. Your case is one of them.

Right now this CPS case seems to have many issues, so you need a competent custody attorney and one who is not afraid of going up against CPS. I'm sorry to hear about this case and the terrible problems the father has caused with your daughter and granddaughter. See if you can get a free consultation. All that will cost you is your time. If you don't like the attorney, go on to the the next one. I would make a shor list of these attorneys and find out who can see you right away and who is available for this case. Is there a court date? Make sure to advise the attorney about everything you've stated here so they can help you.

There is also guardianship and non-parent custody statutes in Arizona. It's not always easy for a non-parent to get custody but since she has lived with you for awhile you may have a better chance than a grandparent who has not lived with the child, as you say, "off and on" for 7 years. The child obviously knows you and is comfortable with you. The court needs to do what is in the best interests of the child. In order for you to have a chance as a guardian or to have custody, you may need to file a petition for these rights and you are wise to seek an experienced attorney to help yu with this. As an attorney for the child in another state, I agree that your grandchild is not going to want to be with her father based on what you have written here. The court needs to know what is going on so that it can do what is in the child's best interests.

I hope this helps you. You will have to make some phone calls, but you should have enough leads in Tucson to help you. This way, you should be able to find someone who can take your case and who will help you protect your grandchild. If you need any additional information, I will be happy to help you.

Copy and paste the link above and you will see 26 child custody attorneys in Tucson. Check their ratings, and see which ones look appealing to you. Then you can call tomorrow and ask if you can have a free consultation. I would not hire anyone unless you are satisfied with their answers. If someone tells you of course you're going to win, I would be wary of that. As lawyers, we cannot guarantee an outcome, but we can have a general idea of what could happen in the case. If someone tells you that you have a good case, that's different from guaranteeing that you're going to win.

You can ask me a follow-up question if you would like.

Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to me on this site.

My goal is to help you so that you have a plan and can go forward, taking action in this case instead of feeling helpless.

Again, I will answer any follow-up questions you have for no additional fee. Feel free to contact me here or send me a message.

I hope this helps and clarifies. If you could, I'd appreciate it if you can rate me when finished. Kindly rate my answer and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. I work diligently to formulate an informative and honest answer for you. I thank you in advance for rating me. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information. If not, I thank you for your rating.

I apologize for the typo above. I meant for you to make a short list of the attorneys and see which attorneys appeal to you.

I wish you the best of luck! Your grandchild deserves to be protected by the courts, and so far it sounds as if she has not been. Best of luck to you and to your granddaughter. You also may want to discuss the possibility of having a guardian ad litem in your case. The guardian ad litem would represent the child, protect her interests, and would try to get the child to talk to the judge if that is what the child is hoping to do. Discuss this with the lawyer you hire and see what he or she thinks about asking for a guardian ad litem in this case (GAL). The GAL's job is to protect the child's best interests.

Best of luck,

Ronna DeLoe, Esq.

Incidentally, please note, I answered your question as soon as I saw it when I signed on. I'm sorry you had to wait for an answer but I answered your question immediately because I saw you were looking for an answer for awhile and I didn't want you to wait any longer.

Please accept my answer, rate my answer and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you or with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. I thank you in advance for rating me. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information. If not, I thank you for your rating.

Ronna L. DeLoe, Esq.

Again, I would appreciate it if you could do the following:

Please accept my answer, rate my answer and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. I thank you in advance for rating me. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can't get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating.

Thank you!

Ronna DeLoe