Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
18572087

Can a mother with full custody, receiving full child

Customer Question

Can a mother with full custody, receiving full child support, drop off and leave the child for a month without notice? If so do I not pay child support for the month and get to receive it from her?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Dropping the child off with whom, exactly? Will the child be dropped off with the other parent or with someone else?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The other parent. The one paying the full child support.

This is a bit of a complicated issue. If one parent has full custody, that parent is responsible for the care and maintenance of that child, or children. As far as simply dropping off that child with the other parent, that other parent has to consent, or it has to be so stated in the custodial order. If neither of those exist, the other parent can refuse, or can go to court and file for emergency sole custody, and use that as a basis to terminate the child support obligation. Until the order is terminated the duty to pay support still exists,however--the courts have to terminate before one parent can stop paying.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.