Benicia Baker-Livors
Benicia Baker-Livors, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Managing member at Family Law Group
15238708

I live in Ga. I need to know was rights my son was as it

Customer Question

Hi I live in Ga. I need to know was rights my son was as it pertains to my granddaughter. My son and his girlfriend were living together for four years. They now have a 3 year old daughter. They now are no longer together. She wants to take the baby to Chicago. Can my son stop her? Again what rights does he have?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Benicia Baker-Livors replied 1 year ago.

Is your son on the birth certificate? Was mom married to another man at the time the child was conceived or born? These questions matter. Your son has rights to file a paternity action in Georgia immediately. If he is on the birth certificate he may have more rights. Once she moves, he will have to file in Chicago (unless he files within 6 months of her moving there).