Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I have been in relationship with a man years. We moved in

Customer Question

I have been in relationship with a man for 14 years. We moved in together on Feb 21, 2015. Our relationship has gone south. I retired from my job last Dec 2014. Am I entitled to anything from this man?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation.

Simply living together does not allow one any extra rights from him. However, you can claim a common law marriage and seek a DIVORCE. A common-law marriage in Colorado is valid for all purposes, the same as a ceremonial marriage. Only death or divorce can terminate it. The common-law elements of a valid marriage are that the couples (1) are free to contract a valid ceremonial marriage, i.e., they are not already married to someone else; (2) hold themselves out as husband and wife; (3) consent to the marriage; (4) live together; and (5) have the reputation in the community as being married.

If the Court agrees that there was a common law marriage, it can then officially divide assets obtained during the marriage period and even can order ALIMONY. However, for this to happen, you would have to file a formal complaint for divorce in the Court. If you do not, then it is presumed that no common law marriage happened.

Let me know if you wish to know more about splitting of assets and alimony.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith by rating me positively.