Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
26296561

My daughter father my ex husband passed on 9/22/15. She a

Customer Question

My daughter father my ex husband passed on 9/22/15. She a has a insurance policy dueto her nby her father and was said I have back child support due to me. He lived in Texas. I live in Florida. His family will not give me any information.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

What is your legal question for me please related to the situation you have briefly described in your question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I go about getting my back child support. He told me about this before he passed. He had a retirement with the boilermakers union. He had only been retired for maybe 2 yrs.

Thank you for your follow up.

Does the deceased ex have an estate that was created after his death?

Did you consult with a local Florida probate attorney to help you with your claim for back owed child support?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I have not,did not know where to start. Nor do I know how she is to get the money due to my daughter on his insurance policy.

Thank you for your follow up.

Do you have a copy of the life insurance policy showing your daughter as the beneficiary?

Have your daughter been contacted by the insurance company?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No was just told by him.And my ex father inlaw mention a little about it he is keeping very quite. He is a very cold hearted man to begin with.

How old is your daughter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is 24 now. And he was years behind on her child support.

Thank you for your follow up.

Did you obtain a court judgment for any unpaid child support?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I got a divorce. But he only paid for a couple of years. He was in and out of jail. And then a had a stroke. A few years back.

Thank you for your follow up.

Generally, the only way to address similar situation, is to consult and retain an experienced probate attorney, where the deceased might have an estate and this probate attorney can file a claim against the estate for any delinquent child support and also can check whether there is any type of life insurance and whether the daughter is listed as a beneficiary.

You can find an experienced and skilled local Florida probate law attorney by using this established and reputable attorney information / referral websites:

www.lexmundi.com

www.martindale.com

www.lawyers.com

www.legalmatch.com

When, choosing a local attorney to represent you, it would be a good idea to choose someone who has a practice exclusively dedicated to Florida probate law, has at least 10 years of experience and handled similar matters and also regularly practices before the court located in the jurisdiction where your matter will be heard.

I wish you the best of luck!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?

If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.

Thank you.