FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

My Friend's wife has left m without s knowing it. She took

Customer Question

My Friend's wife has left him without his knowing it. She took most of the furniture. His Debit card is not working. She has called saying she "needs" time. What are the odds that he needs a lawyer and fast and what type of lawyer?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Has he called the bank to see the issue as to why his card is not working?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I don't believe he has done this. He is clueless about finances as she handled everything?? She has left him and told him she
has.

Thank you. Your friend first needs to decide if he wants to wait and give her more time and try and work this out or divorce her. That decision is up to him. However, he does need to have access to money, so he needs to call the bank and see why the car is not working and if she did something and if so, he needs to contact her to get it active. If she will not, then he would need an attorney since he would be without money and the ability to meet his basic needs. Moreover, even though she took most of the furniture, if it was bought during the course of the marriage, it would be a martial asset. As such, she would need to return it and it would need to be divided and settled and would not simply be hers since she took it. If she is not willing to cooperate and work with him, then he needs to get an attorney since these issues will need to be temporarily decided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!