Benicia Baker-Livors
Benicia Baker-Livors, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Managing member at Family Law Group
15238708

I have a protective order that protects me. The supervised

Customer Question

I have a protective order that protects me. The supervised visitation for the mother was at one county program. It was necessary for me to stop taking the kids to that program. The other side filed a Rule to Show Cause. At a status hearing for the Rule
to Show Cause, the Judge signed a motion to move the visitation to another place. "Visitation referred to in the PO will take place at new location." The hearing for the Rule to Show Cause will take place later this month. When that hearing takes place, what
will happen to the visitation location? If the Rule to Show Cause hearing simply ends in my favor, will the motion from the status hearing still be in effect and the visitation is at the new location or will it revert to the location specifically stated in
the PO? If I am unhappy with the Rule to Show Cause and want to appeal, what will happen to the visitation location? This is in Fairfax Virginia. Please answer if you have experience there.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Benicia Baker-Livors replied 1 year ago.

When it comes to custodial orders, the judges have a wide amount of discretion to change the location regardless of any motions. In your case, the first hearing date, the judge moved the location on his own (as you described it).

In most states, an appeal does NOT stop the new ruling. You will be ordered to comply with the new ruling while on appeal. I recommend you consult with a local lawyer about this issue since it is important enough for you to be discussing appeals.

If I have answered your question, please rate my answers accordingly. Thank you very much.