Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Can I receive credit I have paid toward the care of my

Customer Question

Can I receive credit for money I have paid toward the care of my children and essentially cancel out or reduce the family support obligation. Basically, I have calculated that I have "overpaid" my family allotment (obligation sunsets December 1), so I have stopped the monthly payments ahead of schedule
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You cannot stop your Court ordered payments without a Court Order. Otherwise, you would be found in contempt of Court. If you think you have overpaid, you need to bring the matter in front of the Court by filing a Motion and letting the Court decide. You can obtain blank Motion form at the Courthouse in the Clerk’s office or you can obtain forms at the Courts’ web site:

http://www.flcourts.org/resources-and-services/family-courts/family-law-self-help-information/family-law-forms.stml