Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
26296561

The lawyer we red told us he could not put both our names on

Customer Question

The lawyer we hired told us he could not put both our names on the client Engagment. I know is many lawsuits there are number names. We cannot proceed with him if he will not allow my wife to be able to help me with questions etc. I have dementia and am
not always able to do things for myself.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

What is your legal question for me please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My question is I want to add my wife as a client to may modification of a divorce decree in the state of Oregon , The lawyer says only one name can be a client at a time. I told him I have dementia and it is essential that my wives name be added and he just won't address the issue. If we can't do it legally thats one thing but if he just doenst want to then we can't use him. Also I asked him to add a cancelation paragraph in case I was not able to continue. He would not do that either. I want to know if he is not the right lawyer for me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am letting my wife continue with this as I am getting somewhat confused with the process.

Thank you for your follow up.

Are you trying to add your current wife or is this the same wife with whom you have been divorced from?

Please clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No this is my current wife.. I have been divorced from my first wife for over 20 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have yet to get an answer. I cannot simply wait at home much longer. please help

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, generally an attorney has to clearly outline which person is the client in similar cases and because of potential conflict of interest, unless the current wife is legal guardian for the husband who is involved in final divorce decree modification proceedings, it would be unethical for the attorney to have both the husband and current wife as clients, so most attorneys would not agree to such joint representation of both husband and current wife under similar circumstances.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.

Thank you.