FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

I have to go to court (civil) to see if I should be charged

Customer Question

I have to go to court (civil) to see if I should be charged with contempt for failing to complete my parents estate in a timely manner. So, they say.
My question is, what type of atty do I need?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Since it is a civil matter, you want to find a civil litigation attorney who handles contempt matters. For something like this though, you may want to consult with and try and find an Estate attorney, who can appear and assist and represent you, who may be able to better explain and show the court the reason your filed to complete the estate and show the problems and/or difficulties you faced. You want to show the Judge that your failure to comply intentional and if you get an attorney who understands and knows the Estate process, they may be able to better explain what happened.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you mean my failure to complete in what the court deemed a timely manner was NOT intentional? You said intentional. It was not. I have a chronic pain disease that acted up something fierce during this process. I am actually disabled by it. Also, I should tell you that
my sister, my Mom and my Dad all passed away within 61 days of each other. Will my health or lack there of be a mitigating factor, in my favor?

Yes, sorry for the typo. Those are certainly things for the Judge to know and consider. After all, if you were ill and disabled, then it would not be something which you were able to control and could explain and show the Judge, why there was a delay. Also, the grieving process from your loss, would also be a factor and something that can take an emotional toll on someone.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
typo on 1st number

I am not able to speak over the phone at this time but happy to answer any additional questions which you may have online.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry(###) ###-#### *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i put alot of my own money into the estate to pay the bills. Did this b/c I was going to buy parents home. Sisters are blocking that as they are asking too much money for it, I cant afford it. I paid the mortgage out of my funds for 2 years. Can I recoup their 2/3 of the payments? As Im not getting the fee for being exectrurix?

That is a separate matter, outside of the contempt issue, so it is best for you to ask it to an attorney who is familiar with Estates and situation whereby your own money is used for things related to the Estate and the ability to recover. You can post it and another expert will be happy to answer it. I am happy to answer anything else related to the contempt issue and if there is nothing further, I kindly ask that you rate my help at the top, so the site will give me credit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
got a problem: my bank just contacted me. I am being charged $52.00. $31.00 and $5.00? I didnt agree to all of those charges.

You should contact customer service for the site. I seethe charge should only be $36 which appears to be what you agreed to

The $52 may have been a result of you accepting a subscription?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I didnt. Just answer is trying to charge me for a 5.00 deposit and 52.00 for a phone call.I thought it was 29.00?

There should be NO charge since we never spoke and I never accepted it, so that should fall off. Whatever you agreed to pay, is what you should be charged. Customer service is great with resolving these issues, so please reach out to them and they will fix it and look into any issues.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you. I dont mean to sound terse - just under sooo much stress

I completely understand. Once it all gets straightened out, just comeback and rate my help

Were you able to clear this up?