Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

In Florida, can I sign a release of responsibility so that

Customer Question

In Florida, can I sign a release of responsibility so that the assisted living memory unit does not transfer a patient to the hospital, if he is a DNR?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Yes, if the patient has a DNR on them, part of that DNR is a release of responsibility for them not transferring the patient to the hospital. Once you sign the DNR (I am presuming that you are PoA or guardian), you can relieve or waive liability on the facility for not moving him to the hospital and the waiver would also state you are not liable for any costs if they do not follow the instructions and they assume all liability for any costs incurred for them not following your order and instructions.

Sorry

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will send this to the Facility and see if they accept your information...thank you....I will get back with you..

Thank you for your reply.

I do not represent you, we only provide information to help educate and guide customers. It is not up to the facility to accept or refute my information. The laws allow people to sign waivers in these cases though, especially since you have the PoA or Guardianship and a DNR means that they are not supposed to revive and once that is signed they have really all of the defense they need to relieve them of liability.