Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
16823287

How does a utah judge look at automobiles being split, when

Customer Question

How does a utah judge look at automobiles being split, when people separate? Is one spouse obligated to pay for repairs on the other spouses vehicle when they moved out of state? My spouse took an older car, it had lower car payments and it had a trailer hitch so she could move some of her things in a trailer. She left me with the newer car that had a higher car payment. Whats a judge going to rule on this?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)!

Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information for your educational purposes only;

(B) No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with a JA expert;

(C) If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney of your choice in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given by a JA expert;

(D) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time. Please wait until then to assign the rating as initially I may still be getting more information from you to formulate a better answer; and

(E) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then please know that I make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you accept, understand and agree to these terms.

ANSWER:

Utah is an equitable distribution state. So a court would divide up property by doing what is fair when all factors are considered. It would be best if you could both come to a written separation agreement on how you want to divide property and debts and then have the judge sign off on that at time of divorce. As far as the repair issue goes, usually the spouse that keeps a certain vehilce is the one who is responsible for the repair on it.

If this answers your question, please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time.

If you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place.

You may request me in the future on new and unrelated questions by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR MAVERICK".

Thank you for using Just Answer.