Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My ex has domiciliary parent status, with us both having

Customer Question

My ex has domiciliary parent status, with us both having joint legal custody. Can he change the childrens schools if I disagee. My ex wants to change the childrens school that they have been attending since Pre-K. He recently moved to a new, upper class neighborhood and wants to save his new wife time getting the kids to school on his days. I live near the old school, which is a good school. Both are Catholic schools. If I disagree with him, can he just enroll them in a new school without my permission
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation.

First, check your decree. This is not a statutory law question, but a question for the custody decree. The decree should state one of the following:

1) the domiciliary parent has the right to make educational choices

2) the domiciliary parent has to have the agreement of the other parent to make educational choices

3) the domiciliary parent can make the educational choice, but can hear input from the other parent

Sometimes, the decree will provide something pother alternative, such as the other parent having the right to choose, or, it will be silent if this issue never came up.

If the decree is one of the three above or an alternative, this controls. To change it, one would have to file a pleading to modify the decree and show why this request would be in the best interest of the child. If the decree is silent on the matter, one can file a motion for clarification and ask the Court to CLARIFY who has the right to make the educational decision, or whether it be in tandem, etc.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith by rating me positively.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!