Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
19958803

Estate lawyer My mom has a house in Suffolk VA, She needs it

Customer Question

For real estate lawyer
My mom has a house in Suffolk VA, She needs it out of her name and into mine. Can she make it a gift. I believe there is a form that we bith sign and take to the Suffolk County office. Please advise. If there is a form please provide it. Thanks for your help.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

If mother wants to transfer her house in VA to you, then she would need to have a "gift deed" prepared by a local VA real estate attorney or a title/closing company from her as the "grantor" over to you as the "grantee". Once she signs and has the deed notarized, it would be recorded in the local land records office with the Circuit Court clerk.

.

I would suggest contacting a local title or closing company as they will be cheaper and faster and can assist with getting the deed signed, notarized and recorded for a small additional fee. A deed preparation should cost around $150 or so..

.

.

thanks