Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
16823287

I got a question regarding child support? Just trying to get

Customer Question

I got a question regarding child support? Just trying to get all our options on the table in regards ***** ***** daughter.
The mother has abandoned my daughter and we had a mutual agreement before this happened and work together for 12 years on raising my daughter.
Now that mom is out of the picture and my daughter has siblings that are not mine. We might decide to keep the siblings together at grandma’s house.
If grandma and I went with joint 50/50 on parental responsibilities, decision making on everything including 50 /50 overnights etc. I pay for all her insurance needs already health, vision, and dental and that will stay in place. Does the state of CO determine child support between grandma income and mine?
Thanks
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time. Please wait until then to assign the rating as initially I may still be getting more information from you to formulate a better answer; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

1. IS THERE A CHILD SUPPORT ORDER ALREADY IN PLACE FOR YOUR DAUGHTER? IF SO, WHO PAYS WHO EVERY MONTH?

2. WHERE IS THE FATHER OF THE OTHER CHILDREN?

3. WOULD GRANDMA AND YOU BE WILLING TO APPLY TO THE COURTS TO GET FORMAL CUSTODY OF THE OTHER SIBLINGS?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the quick reply1-no mom and I had no orders we where civil about every thing. Until mom decided to leave2-no one nows where or who the other father is of the older sister i think that why grandma doing what she is doing3-we talked about her older sister but doesn't look like that's going to be an option. Looks like she going to get full custody of the older sister because no dad no more mom etc. But with my daughter we talked about 50 50 on every thing so we don't have to separate them. But we didn't know how child support works if we went that direction grandma brings home about 4000 a month I bring home about 3000 a month some one told me even if we go right down the middle of everything grandma would pay nothing because she a grandma?
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

So, grandma would not have to pay for any child support towards your daughter. However, if you are not able to work out an agreement with her and grandma get some formal custody through the courts of your daughter, then grandma could apply for support payments. It would appear to me that the solution is that you maintain full custody of your daughter and allow grandma to have visitation rights. This is how the court would likely rule on the issue unless there was some evidence that you are an unfit father. Also, you would have no duty to pay child support for the sibling that is not yours.

(D) If this answers your question, please go ahead and assign a feedback rating now.

(E) If you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place.

(F) You may request me in the future on new and unrelated questions by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR MAVERICK". Thank you for using Just Answer.