Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

I had a dui nine years ago in Iowa and I'm a resident in

Customer Question

I had a dui nine years ago in Iowa and I'm a resident in Illinois. I was pulled over in Illinois a few days ago and arrested for dui. Should I get a lawyer and any idea what I am looking at? Jail time? I know my license will be suspended but I'm a mom and worried. Can they say I'm an unfit mother?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

Unfortunately, this DUI is going to count as a second offense, as Illinois does not carry a "look back" period.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

That means that it does not matter how many years have lapsed since your first conviction. Under Illinois law this will be counted as number 2 if you are convicted.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Because of the possible penalty, I suggest you consider at least consulting with a local attorney.

A second offense DUI is a Class a misdemeanor and is punishable with imprisonment that can extend up to one year. The mandatory requirement is five days of imprisonment or 240 hours of community service. The individual can also be subject to a maximum fine of $2,500. If a person is convicted of a second offense DUI within a 20-year period, the offense will result in loss of driving privilege for five years.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

And so you do not want to get the mandatory jail sentence of 5 days. A skilled attorney can ensure you are penalized by getting the 240 hours of community service with probation.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have other questions in this regard. Keep in mind, I can only answer and provide information for what you ask. I do not know what you need to know, unless you tell me. Please rate positive as this is how I get credit for my time and information.

Thank you