Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
18572087

If I suspect that a family member of 18 years of age is

Customer Question

If I suspect that a family member of 18 years of age is suffering abuse by way of isolation from a parental figure is there any legal action I can take?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

If I may ask, how is that person being abused? Also, is this person still in high school or has that person graduated?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The person I am concerned about has not graduated high school, rather is looking to obtain a GED as they were home-schooled. The abuse constitutes as isolation from family members by ways of not disclosing location, removal of contact by means of email, phone, and written letters, as well as hindering attempted contact.

Here is the issue as I see it. If this person is a legal adult, that is, he or she is over the age of 18, that person has the power to either associate or not be associated with others. While this may be 'abuse', since the 18 year old does not have to reside with them, and that person arguably can make their own decisions, this is not really a violation. Now, if this person is actually kidnapped, that is one thing, but beyond that point the courts won't be able to help because of the age of the potential victim.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.