Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

I have a question, I live in Carlisle PA and I am getting

Customer Question

My name Is ***** ***** I have a question, I live in Carlisle PA and I am getting married on Oct 3rd 2015. My Little sister went onlined and became an ordained minister through Open Ministries. My question is, Will my marriage be legal if she performs my ceremony? My marriage lisence was issued by the County's Clerks office. I was told this not legal and she could not marry me. Please let me know it is important.
Submitted: 1 year ago via USmarriagelaws.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

The following is the PA Statute regarding who can officiate a marriage.

23-1502

Persons qualified to solemnize marriages

• General rule.--The following are authorized to solemnize marriages between persons that produce a marriage license issued under this part:
    • A justice, judge or magisterial district judge of this Commonwealth.
    • A former or retired justice, judge or magisterial district judge of this Commonwealth who is serving as a senior judge or senior magisterial district judge as provided or prescribed by law.
    • An active or senior judge or full-time magistrate of the District Courts of the United States for the Eastern, Middle or Western District of Pennsylvania.
      • An active, retired or senior bankruptcy judge of the United States Bankruptcy Courts for the Eastern, Middle or Western District of Pennsylvania who is a resident of this Commonwealth.
    • An active, retired or senior judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit who is a resident of this Commonwealth.
    • A mayor of any city or borough of this Commonwealth.
    • A minister, priest or rabbi of any regularly established church or congregation.
  • Religious organizations.--Every religious society, religious institution or religious organization in this Commonwealth may join persons together in marriage when at least one of the persons is a member of the society, institution or organization, according to the rules and customs of the society, institution or organization.
  • Marriage license needed to officiate.--No person or religious organization qualified to perform marriages shall officiate at a marriage ceremony without the parties having obtained a marriage license issued under this part.

I suggest that you need to check with the clerk of the court and inquire if the Open Ministries is recognized. If they are, then your little sister can perform the ceremony.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! I am going to contact the county clerks office tomorrow morning and ask them. I did look at the marriage laws for Pa and it does state that any ordained minister. I asked the Register of Wills and Orphans and they stated that they don't handle those kinds of thing and told me to ask a lawyer of the legality of an ordained minister. You were excellent and a great help.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

I wish I could be more definitive but if the Open Ministries is not registered with the clerk's office then she would not be allowed.

Good luck