P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
11181181

My sons ex gf is pregnant, her parents are keeping them from

Customer Question

My sons ex gf is pregnant, her parents are keeping them from talking and they want nothing to do with the baby when it comes so they say! When do I have rights to the baby and what can I do. They are both over 18??? My family and I want the baby when it comes
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** have over 16 years experience in the law. Should you like to chat on the phone I am happy to for a nominal cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested I am happy to give you more details.

I want to make sure I understand. is your son going to "acknowledge paternity"? Will his girlfriend allow this (allow him to sign the birth certificate)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As far as I know yes! But we are unsure at this time as it's back and forth with her parents! And if she isn't what happens?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, what do you mean if she isn't? If she isn't what?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Willing to put him on birth certificate
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Thanks

If she is unwilling to allow him to acknowledge paternity? Then he will need to hire an attorney and file a paternity case with the court (the county court for the county where the child lives)

Unless or until he is added to the birth certificate (either by the mom allowing or the court ordering) he has no rights to the child at all. But if mom refuses to allow him to acknowledge he is the dad? He can hire a lawyer and request the court order a DNA test...and if it shows he is the dad? The court will order he be added to the birth certificate

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so if she is due in Feb, when can we do this?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

You can file in February. Once the child is born you can file the suit to determine paternity.