socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

What is the legal age in Florida child to chose which parent

Customer Question

What is the legal age in Florida for a child to chose which parent they wish to live with full time?
Submitted: 1 year ago via TexasChild-Custody.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.

Are you the parent or the child?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A parent

Thanks. Sometimes when I am asked a question about this issue by a young child, my answer is too complicated for the child to understand -- so I try to ensure that I know the general age of my audience, before providing an answer.

The simple answer is that there is no age limit where a child's choice of residence will be automatically approved by the family court. The court must consider the child's preference, but it must also be shown that there has been a change in circumstances affecting the child's best interests, before the court will modify the custody arrangements to change the child's primary residence.

I can provide you with a lengthy legal explanation, including case law, in the manner that a court would want to read. Please let me know if this would be helpful information.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!